This cheesy fiesta chicken and rice casserole is SO easy to make, and you can find most of the ingredients right in your pantry. My husband and I threw this together and we couldn’t believe how easy and delicious it was!
What you need:
- Long grain white rice
- Sour cream
- Onion powder
- Black beans
- Canned Corn
- Shredded cheese ( we used some Colby jack and a bit of taco cheese that was left over!)
This recipe is great for using up leftovers from the fridge and pantry. We used some chicken which we had already cooked the night before! And feel free to use any cheese or beans you like.
Putting this recipe together is SO quick and easy. Start by preheating oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your baking pan and get your rice cooking. Shred your chicken or chop into cubes. You can even substitute with ground beef. I lightly shredded the chicken using a hand mixer.
While your rice is cooking, prepare the sour cream mixture by combining the sour cream, salsa or tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder. it turns into a kind of yummy sauce for the casserole.
Once your rice is cooked, simply combine it with the sour cream mixture and mix well. Add in your beans, corn, and half of the shredded cheese. Transfer to your prepared baking dish, and top with the rest of the shredded cheese!
Cover your casserole loosely with foil for about 20 minutes, then bake uncovered for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted to perfection. Plate and garnish with fresh cilantro, tomatoes, guacamole, or additional sour cream!
Seriously such a simply recipe but so delicious. This heats up great for leftovers and lunches!
1lb cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
1 cup dry long grain white rice
1 cup sour cream
1 cup salsa or petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 15.5oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15.5oz can of corn, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 13×9 inch baking pan (Pyrex works great), spray with cooking spray.
2. Cook rice according to package directions. Season with salt and pepper, if you like.
3. While the rice is cooking, combine the sour cream, salsa or tomatoes, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder in a large bowl.
4. Once the rice is cooked, combine it with the sour cream mixture. Stir in the beans, corn, chicken, and one cup of the shredded cheese. Mix well.
5. Transfer to your prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the remaining cup of cheese on top. Cover loosely with aluminum foil and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Take the aluminum foil off and cook for an addition 5 minutes. Let cool. Garnish with fresh cilantro, tomatoes, or additional sour cream if you would like!